How to Recognize Anaphylactic Shock - South Florida Sinus and Allergy Center

Mon: 8:30am – 5pm Tues-Thur 8am – 4:30pm Fri: 7:30am – 4pm        Phone: 954.983.1211    Call Now

How to Recognize Anaphylactic Shock

Anaphylactic Shock is a severe allergic reaction that starts in the immune system. This life-threatening condition occurs when the human body releases an antibody known as “Immunoglobulin E” to try to fend off what it perceives as a possible dangerous allergen, resulting in several reactions within the body.

Common symptoms of anaphylactic shock include:

  • Wheezing or breathing difficulties
  • Dizziness or fainting
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Sensation of lump in the throat
  • Rapid or weak pulse
  • Shock

The following are common triggers of anaphylactic shock:

  • Nuts (peanuts, pecans, tree nuts, etc.)
  • Shellfish (shrimp, crab, lobster, etc.)
  • Stings (bees, jellyfish, etc.)
  • Dairy (milk, cheese, eggs, etc.)
  • Seeds (sesame, sunflower, etc.)
  • Medications (penicillin, etc.)

How Do You Treat an Anaphylaxis?

As soon as you see someone experience an anaphylactic shock, seek immediate medical attention. Anyone who is aware and has a serious allergy should always have epinephrine (EpiPen), which is an adrenaline that could reverse anaphylaxis and maintain a heartbeat. Once the medication has worked, immediate medical care is still necessary.

Since there is a possibility of developing a life-threatening allergy at any point in your life, it is important to know what exactly to do in the event of an anaphylactic shock. If you discover that you have one of those allergies, remember that there is a way to control it through education and understanding the precautionary measures to remain safe.

For more information about everything related to sinus and allergy, contact South Florida Sinus & Allergy Center and schedule an appointment with our experienced physicians today.